Cocktail of the month: Marmalade Old Fashioned
A little bit of leftover Christmas, Bartender Emma McNicholas puts a twist on the Old Fashioned – with oranges in abundance after the festive period, rum is the perfect foil for the sweet citrus flavours.
You’ll need: a Japanese mixing glass, a muddler, a bar spoon, a Hawthorn strainer, a fine strainer and a rocks glass.
1 brown sugar cube soaked in orange bitters
42g marmalade (one small jar)
30ml Havana Club 7-year-old rum
3 orange slices
– Chill the rocks glass by filling with crushed ice
– Crush the sugar cube with the muddler in the mixing glass
– Add all of the other ingredients to the mixing glass with some cubed ice and stir until the sugar has dissolved
– Discard the ice in the glass and add one large cube of ice
– Double strain the drink into the glass
– Garnish with the orange slices